10 September 2012

Haven't used this for a few years

I'm going to try and keep this blog up and running. I plan for it to mostly be about work; yes, there will probably be some venting now and again. Railing against the system or myself or others.... I will do my best to keep it pro--no one will be referred to by their real names (Or as one of my former teachers always put it, "Names have been changed to protect the guilty"--which will apply in some cases.). I shall try to avoid mentioning specifics about any of my students--if I tell a story it will be in the most generic of terms....

I am a very fannish person, but other than the occasional squee about a new show or one of my faves (and possibly posts of some guys I consider hotties), I'm really going to try and keep this blog work related. I have other places to be fannish...but I'm not linking to them here. I have no desire for my fannish life and my work/personal lives to intersect.

So background--I know in my user info it's hard to see but that's 22.5 hrs per week to run two school libraries (not 225). I live in a rural area of NS Canada; both of my schools are in large villages/towns; School A at which I have 15 hrs per week, is the larger of the two (and what I consider my home school as it's where I was last year before the changes--more on that later) with ~400 students in P to 5. School B is actually in the village I grew up in, however I didn't attend this school as at the time, it was only for DND dependents who lived in the PMQs. Now, however, it only has ~150 students, also P to 5. The school board has said they're going to look at the boundaries and I hope they do as the boundaries school B shares with the school in the next village over are ridiculous.

Last year, I had a 30 hour/week position at school A (which was considered full time). The provincinal gov't here has been cutting back and cutting back and cutting back on education and health care severely. The next board over initially had all their library staff laid off (they only brought back MS and HS folk). Here? The solution was to cut all library positions (most of us being LTs with a few untrained-but-grandmothered-into-our-contract workers) by 50%. Then they'd pair two schools up and we'd be reassigned, choosing our schools by seniority. With a couple LTs opting to take only one school it ended up that 22 out of 43 of us kept our jobs (there was one retirement in there). My position fell from 30 hrs to 22.5--I was 11th on the seniority list, however any 6 hour positions were so far away that any gain I'd have by that 1/5 hours would be lost in the cost of gas. And I've done the 45 min or more drive to work and it's awful, esp in NS winters. So, I chose these two schools....

And now as I look at the clock on the comp, I realise it's 2:30 in the a.m. No work on Monday (my sched is done over 4 days, thanks to K, my previous admin at school A.) but I do have things I'll need to do later today so I should get a few hours sleep. G'night.

No comments: