13 September 2012

first days with kids

So, this week were my first days with the kids. Went well at School A (tues/wed), though a few classes missed on Wed cus of a bus safety presentation. Although I always forget how BUSY it is with the primaries the first few library times. "Make sure the only book you take with you is the one you signed out with me." "You have to keep the book you signed out, don't put it back on the shelf," etc. You get the idea. They're cute but it's exhausting. By the end of the school year, they're so good at it, I forget. (Of course, PD's second school is the elementary across the way from her middle school, that she was at last year. And she's never worked elementary before. *evil laughter*).

Today were the majority of my School B classes, just two tomorrow morning. Primaries just as busy and I knew ONE student's name (cus she'd been at School A last year). But it's the first time they've had automated signout at the school and the kids love it. As do I. At one point, with the primary class, one student signed out a book another student had--I didn't think to check the name that came up to see if it was a primary in the class (live and learn). But we just had the first kid find another book and she was okay with it. The teacher told me that I was much calmer than the previous "librarian" would've been about it.

It's not a big deal. If they tell me they left on the shelf/table, I'll just sign it back in. No biggie--although more of an issue, if you're using, oh, say...book cards?

Got a bit of decorating done at B--the walls are painted, where you can see the entire wall, in horizontal stripes, colours from bottom to top: orange, green, red, yellow and blue. With blue around the rest of the top of the room (and anywhere you can see wall). Oi. I'm appropriating the bulletin board across the hall form the library for cultural type displays and possibly one slight further up the hallway. Since I'm the only down that end now.

I just have one more section of wall to decorate at A and I'm done there (I have a lot more wall space there). Also have to get some office supply requests into the secretary at school B tomorrow morning.

Well, I guess that's about it for tonight. It's late and I need to get some sleep...

No comments: