24 September 2012

And your blood's depleted to the point of stable glue

Not a usual work day for me, I have Mondays off, but wish I didn't. I went into school B (thus confusing the heck out of a lot of folks...lol). Went over to PD's elementary school around 9 a.m. In her first class was a girl who'd been at my School A--I couldn't remember her name, but she told me. Later PD told this girl had told HER that she didn't have nearly as many piercings as I do (and she doesn't). Hmm, I should talk about those, but in a seperate post.

I was looking at PD's library to see what needs to be changed around or what can be changed around...and discovered that on all the tall shelving which has fic and then non-fic, when you're facing from where you walk down into the stacks from the other part of the library (ie the "front"), the shelf ranges are backwards, starts on the right, goes to left. If you're at the BACK of the library they're in the right order. *headdesk* This has to be changed--I was doing some shelving for her, and kept going in the wrong direction.

The books are classified with pb, jr non fic, jr fic, fic and non fic. I think she's gonna go with colour coded labels (you can buy opaque ones)...much as I do--that way no need for seperate classifications, just shelve the colours together. It works.

After she was doen there, I went back to school B, had my lunch and then moved the old books from the "reference" section to other empty shelves to be sliced up for discard later. My favourite find, so far, has been a road atlass of Europe...©1971 (a good year, if I do say so myself)...I'm sure none of the roads have changed nor have new roads been added. /sarcasm

Also got all the french collection into one bay--and only discarded a couple dozen books; hoping the french immersion teacher won't notice that part.  This means I can start moving the non fiction--weeding as I go. I may hold onto stuff for a year until I'm sure it's not needed...or I may not. Once that's done, then I'm splitting up the picture books and chapter books, again, weeding as I go and I may rearrange the tables and such so that the little ones can have a reading area on the floor near their books. And I'll be rid of the those bloody step ladders the kids use. Well the french immersion kid'll still have to use them, but there's only 9 of and they're in grades 4/5.

So much work, so little time. BUT with the non fic and others I'm moving, I can do that a shelf at a time, now that the french is moved.

I don't think I mentioned it, but i have fucking wooden shelving at the is school I had wooden shelving cus the shelves are adjustable and never meet the side of the shelving unit, so books fall down unless you have the right style of bookends--which I do. Now that I stile them all from School A--which has all metal shelving with slotted in bookends, thus no need for the other type. AND there are two sizes of wooden shelves, one is slightly longer and wider than the others. *sigh*

Will be going over to PD's elem school this friday (around 10:30, she has to go to her middle school first) to help her move the furniture around at least.

No comments: