04 October 2012

see chameleon lying there in the sun

Yesterday was school A again. One of the teachers, the power cord on her laptop was making a beeping noise. So, I emailed DT (tech guy from school B) about it, figuring I'd get an answer faster than if I emailed SR... I emailed with 'power cord beeping' as the subline...and asked if that meant imminent death or some other issue. Before he could reply, the teacher comes and tells me it's died and asks if I have another one. I didn't think I did, but when I went to take my lunch time insulin injection, I realised that the last time I borrowed a school laptop that when SR took ti back, he didn't take the cord. So I had one and it was the right one.

Thus, I emailed DT again, with the sub line 'nevermind' and the text that the power pack had answered its own question and died.

I stayed after school to laminate some bookmarks (with barcodes) for the kids in the primary class... I printed to the photocopier and when I came through the office, there was DT leaning against the front counter. I asked if he was lost, he said that he was and hadn't been found. He then said if I was going to send such amusing emails, I could continue to send them. I just looked at him; he said he'd laughed when he'd rec'd my first email, showing it to his co-hort and laughing cus "Power cords can't beep, it's an adapter". Cue me rolling my eyes and only not telling him to bite me cus we were in the main office. Then he said they LOVED the second email with "nevermind, it's died".  Good to know I'm useful, even if it is just as comic relief.

Anyhow, DT and co-hort were at our school to install the security camera.... A little while later I was in my library taking all the laminate that hadn't fused on my bookmarks (which was all of it), when DT comes in, and he sounded like he was asking if I had ocmps with CD player issues. But no, he wanted a comp that had a working cd player as the one on his "craptop" wasn't working. He provided me with about 20 mins of amusement as he tried to get the camera stuff set up and working.

I told him that while he was there, could he install win7 for me--the cd was right there. He laughed. I said it was supposed to have been installed over the summer. DT: "How's that working for you?" Me: "You know who my tech is...." He didn't install it for me, the bugger.

Upgraded Alex as a new version was out--and before I installed it, the sounds wouldn't change for me, and even after the update, the sound alerts wouldn't change--so I submitted a request via their website. I didn't get the email til I got home, telling me to rebuild the db. Which it had done after the install--so I didn't think it would work. I tried it on my way in this morning (I have to go by school A's street to get to school B)--and it still didn't work. Emailed them once I was at school B to tell them.

So, I do the Alex update at school B (where the sounds were okay). Then realised it had deleted all my books listed as discarded (or at least it was showing 0 discarded books, when I had ~200 last week). Called them and the guy starts telling me to restore from the archived copy--and I say that will erase all my transactions from today, won't it? "Oh, you've done sign out". Yes, my darling, you're in Utah or Colorado--it's past 10 out here and only 7 am. for you. Then I ask if I can temp install Alex on another comp to at least get my list of discarded books. He says yes, if I shut the other one down. I laughed mentally.

I hike back to the library, d/l the installation file for the previous version of Alex, go to install it and! I need at least 10.5...the emac only has 10.4.whateever. So I tried vers 5.9, sometimes the new files work in the older version. Not this one.

I'm going to try it at home on my win machine (yes, I know, but I never use it at work/home the same time).  Hopefully the archive will work regardless of mac/win. *sigh*

At least tomorrow is Friday.

No comments: