08 October 2012

sad news

Was at the 'rents today for Thanksgiving (Canada, eh?) and in talking to my mum, found out that a former student of mine had died at the age of 21. I wasn't sure if I was putting the right face with the right name, but when I got home, I checked for his obit--found the funeral home info which included pics. It was. He would've been in grade 1 or 2 when I started--I've been with the board for ~15 years now. And I would've had him through to grade 5.

He wasn't a child I was especially close to or fond of--but he was a pretty good kid. And did a lot in HS. He was going to school out west...and he died of alcohol poisoning. Which, in some ways, makes his death that much sadder. I'm pretty sure he's the first former student of mine that's died--or at least the first one I know about. (You get the transient kids, who've been to a dozen schools in less years--always moving and often you never hear of them again once they move.)


No comments: